Monday, August 3, 2009

Chelsea is 15 today!

I can hardly believe she is 15 years old today. It seems like just yesterday that I held her in my arms just minutes after she was born. Time goes by so fast, and it doesn't seem to matter whether times are good or bad, they still fly past us at the speed of light. When I blink again, she will be 18, then 30. We are celebrating her birthday this coming weekend, it is the only time all the family can get together. I am looking forward to it, it is one of the rare times when no one cares if she smears food all over. Her dad has a fenced yard, so the kids will be able to play and fling cake to their hearts content. In spite of all the bad, I am so grateful that she was spared the night her sister was murdered. I wish all of this had turned out differently, no child should have to be raised by old folks..lol. She should be where she is right now, at her dad's, playing with her brother and sister, being a kid. Not with us; we have no friends with kids, no fenced yard for her, and we're too tired to do much after working all day. She will be at her dad's for three more weeks, then back with us in time for school to start. I will enjoy and make the most of the three weeks of freedom I have left, but I will also miss her every minute of it.

2 comments:

Far Above Rubies said...

I have a child with Ds. and know many people who adopted children with Ds. There are challenges that present themselves when you have a child with Ds., but the joys far outweight the challenges. I am so thrilled that she is 15 today. Happy Birthday Chelsea. I would love to see pictures of her. You can visit my blog and see pictures of my child along with my other five children. www.jasminecucuta.blogspot.com If you have any questions, please be sure to ask. There is a lot of information out there for guardians and parents of children with Ds. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Chelsea!! My daughter is only five and I adopted her out of the foster care system at the age of fifteen months. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by. I can't imagine not choosing or preparing to raise a teenager in a moment's notice. I know we all have struggles, but as Jasmine said, the joys certainly outweigh the difficulties....I remind myself of this often as I change ANOTHER diaper on my kindergartener!

Again, Happiest of Birthdays!!

You can see my daughter on her blog http://www.emmaleefaith.com