Monday, April 7, 2008

Another Day In Paradise

Well, today was what I view as a good day. There was no eating of non-food items, no pooing in the pants, no peeing in the trash can. I did not have to pick her dinner out of her hair. Just the usual incessant and unintelligible babbling that makes my eardrums numb. Now don't get me wrong, I love her dearly, so much so that I have sacrificed the nice, quiet life I used to have in order to give her a home. But that doesn't mean I have unending patience. It doesn't mean I love cleaning up disgusting messes. It doesn't mean I don't long for a night out with my husband once a year. I am tired of hearing what a saint I am for raising her. I am tired of people touting the joys of raising disabled children. I know that I can't be the only one who is willing to tell the truth, who needs to tell the truth. I can't be the only one who just gets sick and tired of the messes, the problems, the financial strain, the strain on my marriage, the depression. I wouldn't have made my choices any differently, but I need to shout it from the rooftops, "This stinks!', and I want you to be able to do that here. When I read others' comments about raising a disabled child, I usually get a mental image of Donna Reed singing as she cleans poop off the walls. This is not reality, people, so start shouting and we'll start listening and supporting one another.

2 comments:

rickismom said...

I do not believe in "Pollyanna" reporting. But if your daughter is doing all of the above, you need to take action. It won't disappear on its own. But taught properly, a good 90% of teens and adults with Down syndrome CAN be taught, and taught effectively. Have you ever had your daughter evaluated by an expert? Does she have any signs of autism in addition to the Down syndrome? (Because if so, you need different technigues to reach her.)
Other the last 20 years, as people with DS have left big institutions for group home, people have discovered that many adults assumed to have "serious" delays had moderate ones, and could learn quite well if approuched correctly.

Anonymous said...

Your unquestionably right with this piece..