Friday, April 11, 2008

She's Back

She's home from camp. The first thing she said to me was "Look, I'm home, I got home today. I like camp". She informed me that she took a shower by herself. I'd be thrilled, because I despise having to shower her, except that I know full well that taking a shower by herself meant washing her face with the rag she just washed her bottom with. What are these people thinking when they put a kid like her in the shower alone? Do they think anyone wants to kiss a kid who showers in the manner that she does? I have tried for the past three years to teach her how to take care of her own hygiene; it's just not ever going to happen. I've tried being patient, I've tried rewards, I've tried being stern, all to no avail. All I get is wet, frustrated, and chronic back pain for my efforts. I would give anything to be able to afford to hire a caregiver just so I wouldn't have to shower her. I have hurt my back more times than I can count and I've come to the conclusion that I am just too old to do it safely. Unfortunately, I have no choice. She can't do it, I can't afford to pay someone to do it, so there we are. Maybe I'm being too uptight about the way she showers when left to her own devices. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about hygiene. I don't know. I don't know if I'm am doing any of this the right way, and there doesn't seem to be anyone to tell me, either.

1 comment:

rickismom said...

There are two very good books that discuss HOW to teach basic skills and work on behavior. If you get them, read them, and USE them, you will see progress.Even if yor daughter is "low functioning".
Your daughter has to learn, first, that you believe in her, and second, that you are NOT going to do this forever. You have to teach her, both emotionally, and practically, that she has to care for herself. But you have to contact someone who can give you GOOD advice. Baring that, the books below are gold mines.

STEPS TO INDEPENDENCE
http://www.brookespublishing.com/store/books/baker-6970/index.htm

http://www.brookespublishing.com/store/books/hieneman-8655/index.htm